Hosting an Exchange Student
Hosting a Youth Exchange student from another country is a challenge—and an opportunity. Involvement with an exchange student challenges a host family to become familiar with another culture, while providing the opportunity to share a student’s hopes and ambitions. These challenges and opportunities promise to enrich the lives of every member of your family.
Not only will you provide an unforgettable service to a student from abroad, but you also will educate your family about the world around them.
Prospective Host Families:
In a nutshell, hosting is inviting a student from another country between the ages of 15 and 19 to become a part of your family for several months. Our student, your new family member,
- IS NOT A GUEST. They become an intricate part of your family and your day to day lives. Your student should be treated just as you would treat your own son or daughter. They expect to be given chores such as taking out the garbage, helping to clean up the kitchen after a meal, washing the car, etc.
- speaks limited to fluent English
- carries full medical insurance
- is in the program because he or she wants to experience life with an American host family and attend an American high school
- is carefully screened to assure that he or she is prepared to become an exchange student, and
- will attend your local high school.